Monday, February 24, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary, Day 24

First movie that comes to mind that you associate with D&D.  Why?

The movie that springs to my mind is Dragonslayer.  It's the one about a wizard's apprentice who goes off to kill a dragon, carrying the ashes of his master who's recently been killed.  I probably need to watch this one again, because I haven't seen it since the 80s and don't remember much of it.  What I do remember is the feel of it, and for some reason that makes me think of D&D.  I understand that it stood a lot of the heroic fantasy tropes of the time on their heads, kind of like what the spontaneous order of a really good sandbox campaign can do.  The hero fails to save the princess, is injured fighting the dragon, and it turns out that his real task was not to fight the dragon at all, but to resurrect his mentor from the ashes so that the old wizard can take out the monster, and himself in the process.  Oddly enough, this was a Disney movie, so it also bucks pretty much every standard Disney cliche as well.

No comments :

Post a Comment