Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Re-opening

So.  I didn't think I'd ever be back here, but I am.  Tentatively.

I did not intend to be dramatic.  I didn't do it for sympathy or attention.  I boarded up the doors and windows back in February because at that point I sincerely could not imagine having anything worthwhile to post ever again.  Depression is a cruel bitch.

I'm sure I'm not the only RPG enthusiast to suffer from bouts of depression, so I trust that at least a few people who read my ramblings here have some firsthand understanding of how it feels when it hits.  This one just hit especially hard.  I soldiered on for a few posts ("fake it 'til you make it," as they say,) and then I hit the wall hard, the bottom fell out, the wheels fell off, or whatever other metaphor you like to use for a mental breakdown.  I don't think anything really changed over the next few months, except that the black cloud just slowly lifted.  They always do, I guess; it just doesn't feel like it will when you're in the middle of a particularly dark one.

I haven't run my usual game since last November, and I'm not sure of its status.  I haven't played in a game in more than ten years.  Despite all that, D&D is bubbling up in my brain again, and it needs an outlet.  Perhaps I'll try to suck up my social anxiety (and my aversion to newer editions) and find a local game store and see if I can worm my way into a game or two.  B/X is my first love, but maybe any D&D is better than none at all?  Maybe I'll find out.  Meanwhile, I guess there's no good reason not to write some new posts about some of these ideas that are cropping up.

Welcome back to the Flagon.  Pardon the dust and the cobwebs.  Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

(Comments are turned off, because, as I said, I'm really not fishing for sympathy.  Comments will be re-enabled for the first new game-related post.)